Welcome to the homepage for Foundations of Geometry (Math 5200/7200)!
In Spring 2023, I’m substitute teaching this course for a short period. So this webpage contains only a few classes worth of material.
Office hours are in-person: 4-6pm on Wednesdays, in Boyd 448. Help is also available at the Math Department Study Hall, Monday-Thursday 3-7pm in McBay Science Library 382.
- (1/23) Video: A Tale of Two Matrices
- (1/25) Video: Of symmetries, solids and coordinates
- Active Learning. Orbits of the Delightful Dozen.
- Optional reading: Coxeter, Regular Polytopes, Chapter 3.
- Optional reading: Verheyen, The complete set of Jitterbug transformers and the analysis of their motion.
- (1/27) Barycentric coordinates and the structure of a general orbit
- Active Learning: The General Orbit
- (1/30) A three-dimensional map: building a tetrahedral map of the orbit
- (2/1) Tensegrity Theory: The duality between stresses and rigidity
- (2/3) Building a symmetric tensegrity